COVID-19: WHAT'S THERE TO FEAR?
COVID-19 can strike fear in anyone. The news reports of multiple deaths, quarantines, no identified cure as of yet, international shut downs, stock market volatility, impact on jobs, finances, 401k plans, and the economy, are real and frightening.
But for the Christian, this is where the shift occurs. We must come back to the word of God and recalibrate. God requires that we must not take the word of the news media, or our circumstances as the final word, and we must not take their word over the word of God. We must listen to what God has to say.
What is God Saying?
Trust and do NOT be afraid! As we fight this world war against an invisible enemy, God is saying, be strong and very courageous. Do not be afraid, for the Lord your God is with you. The biggest difference between Christians and the world is clearly seen in times like this. When the world is in a panic, we, as Christians can be stable, unafraid and unshakable. This does not mean that we don’t feel fear, but it does mean that we REFUSE to fear. So, take all the precautions recommended by the CDC. Wash your hands frequently, avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth, and self-quarantine. But remember that safety is not the absence of danger, it is the presence of God. So, put your faith in God, and trust Him to take care of you.
Your Next Steps to Victory Over COVID-19
- Practice Social Distancing, But Not Soul Distancing: Because while our bodies can carry a virus, our souls carry the help, healing and restoration that people so desperately need. So, we must continue to love, serve and share the grace, peace, and love of God, regardless of COVID-19. Some singles are helping to provide needed supplies to homeless shelters, and others are ordering food from local restaurants to support them. Let me know if you’d like to help.
- Guard Your Mind and Reject the Voice of Fear. Fear has a voice. Its name? What if. “What if” has the uncanny ability to conjure up images of the worst possible scenarios and barrage your mind with endless thoughts of horrible outcomes, each worse than the last. Fear is a bully, it wants to steal your peace, and sense of wellbeing. But you can say NO. Reject the voice of fear and refuse to play the “what if” game.
- Focus on The Truth: The spirit of fear operates when you believe a lie, so it is critical that you focus on the truth. What this means is that when you listen to the information from the media, you must recognize that the media may have the facts, but they don't have the truth. The word of God is the truth. So, focus on the word!
- Shut the Door on Fear: The spirit of fear never travels alone. It has a posse. Members of the posse includes, timidity, lack of courage, lack of confidence in yourself and God, oppression, depression, disease, and ultimately death. When you let fear in, it turns around and opens the door to its posse of demonic spirits. So, say No and shut the door!
- We Have a Different Spirit! Second Timothy 1:7 states that God has not given us the spirit of fear, but He has given us a different spirit, the Holy Spirit, who enables us to defeat the spirit of fear through the antidotes of power, love and a sound mind.
- Face Your Fear: What is your worst fear? That you or your relatives may get the virus or lose your job or businesses? Then What? Are you helpless? Absolutely not! You have a Great God, who is a very present help in trouble. He is in charge of all the details of your life. So, relax, rest and be at peace. Even if the worst happens, your God is the way maker. He is bigger than your fears, challenges and circumstance He will make a way for you.
- Put Your Trust in God: Fear is an act of the will. It’s a choice! So, you can feel fear, but not react in fear. Psalm 56:3 says, "When I am afraid, I WILL put my trust in you” This scripture tells me that I have a choice. When I am afraid, I can panic; I can worry; I can be anxious; or I can put my trust in God. I encourage you today to put your trust in God and refuse to fear.
Connect with Our Online Resources
Connect with us on Facebook and YouTube for encouragement and available resources. Check out videos from our prior shows and comments from the live audience.
- Please join me for live online Bible study and prayer on Wednesday 3/25.
2. Emergency food and other resources are available. The flyers are posted here: https://www.facebook.com/gloria.o.godson Please share with all.
When this is over, we will emerge stronger, better, and victorious. God will bring forth beauty out of these ashes. Join me to pray this prayer:
Father, I thank you that I dwell in your secret place. YOU, O’ Lord, are my refuge and place of safety. Your faithful promises are my armor and protection. I am not afraid of COVID-19. You have ordered your angels to protect me wherever I go. No evil shall befall me, and no plague, disease, or epidemic shall come near my home. With long life you will satisfy me and show me your salvation – Amen!